[Marxism] At Davos, guarded relief about world economy, concern about global mass protest and rise of the anti-euro right

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 14:57:29 MST 2014

Interesting indeed.  I subscribe to China Spectator and it too had an
article about the distribution or rather non-distribution of wealth in
Australia and saying it was a bad thing. What is the meaning of this?  Is
the intelligentsia of the right getting alarmed and trying to coax their
masters into less greed?  Perhaps.

But nothing will take the fingers of the rich from their hoards of wealth,
noting short of a true revolutionary upsurge.  Only the specter of red
terror will allow even a modest opening to the Keynesian alternative.

What is happening it seems to me is that the bottom 20% who were rusted on
to the Social Democrats and Labour have had a gut full of over 30 years of
the most stark betrayal.  They are beginning to drift and the first move is
to the far right. In Australia the party of Billionaire Clive Palmer could
also makes gains in the present set up.

Now I may be wrong, but I think none of that worries the ruling class. Not
a bit. The ruling classes  will find their Hitler like sycophants among the
far right and use them.  The rise of the fascists will only pull Labour and
the Social Democrats further to the right. If necessary as in Greece they
will go into government with the right.

Re the economic upsurge: I do not know enough to be sceptical, but I
seriously doubt that we are in for good economic times.  If Brazil, India
and China hit any kind of wall, that will put an end to any upturn.

There are some crucial by-elections coming up in Oz, at the federal and
state (Qld) level and then there will be a series of state elections.  The
ruling conservatives might lose the by-elections and that would show that
there is resistance to the politics of austerity among the working class.
Not of course that the Murdoch press will allow that conclusion to be
easily formed.

comradely

Gary