[Marxism] Post of my thoughts on the revolt in Ukraine

T thomasfbarton at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 27 15:08:08 MST 2014

Reports of dual power in parts of Ukraine follows:

Solidarity,

>From today’s Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304691904579345024149002010?KEYWORDS=Pressure+on+Ukraine+Leader+Mounts

The uprisings in recent days started in Ukraine's west, where Mr. Yanukovych is most unpopular. The mayor of Lviv, a major center of dissent, said the new laws wouldn't apply there.

Protests have even spread to regions east of Kiev that for years have been loyal to Mr. Yanukovych.

In cities across Ukraine, crowds stormed local government buildings in recent days, shouting, "Get the gang out!" and "Get the criminal out!" a reference to the two prison terms Mr. Yanukovych served in his youth for theft and assault.

Many protesters who occupied local administration and council buildings declared loyalty to the People's Council, set up by the opposition in Kiev.

In Volyn in the country's west, the city's governor, a presidential appointee, knelt briefly before hundreds of protesters asking them not to storm the building, according to video shared by protesters online. When one man entered the building to ask police not to assault protesters, an officer wearing a black helmet told him: "We're with the people. We're Ukrainians." They then embraced. The governor later resigned.

In Poltava, the local police chief halted an attempt to storm the governor's offices by taking off his hat and singing the national anthem, local news agencies reported. Protesters seized the building later.

Some attacks on buildings were less peaceful. In Vinnytsia, protesters stormed the regional administration, spraying fire extinguishers and tossing wooden chairs at riot police.