[Marxism] New Zealand interest

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 23:05:49 MST 2014

Some folks may be interested in this; it's just what's in our regular
little circular that goes out to folks mainly in NZ.  Usually we highlight
international stories too, but for this one I just found some older
specific NZ stuff worth highighting:

For this circular, I thought I’d highlight some past pieces on Redline
about workplace experiences in NZ, some historical working class struggles,
and some material on the union movement (not only from NZ but which is
relevant here).

*Workplace tales and workers in today’s NZ economy:*

The Red Chef on “The real working life of a chef” (Wellington):

http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/the-real-working-life-of-a-chef-a-view-from-the-inside/

Ted Somerset on “Last machinist at Achilles Industries”:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/last-machinist-at-achilles-industries/

This material sounds almost Dickensian, but the bizarre thing is that it is
actually true; the events took place in the early 2000s at an actual
Wellington workplace.

This is just chapter one, but you can link to the other chapters from it.
There are six chapters, and you can follow them through from chapter one.

Oshay Muir on temp workers and the ‘flexible economy’:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/bending-over-backwards-new-zealands-temp-economy-and-the-growing-need-for-flexible-labour/

*Past struggles*

Don Franks on the 1913 general strike:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/the-1913-general-strike-relevant-to-us-in-2013/<http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/the-1913-general-strike-relevant-to-us-in-2013/?relatedposts_exclude=4614>

Philip Ferguson: Behind the 1951 waterfront lockout:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/behind-the-1951-waterfront-lockout/

Nick Scullin: 2.7% rise for the firefighters; 70% for their boss:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/2-7-rise-for-the-firefighters-70-for-their-boss/

Nick Scullin: Firefighters resist vindictive new attack by their employer:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/firefighters-resist-vindictive-new-attack-by-employer/

Philip Ferguson on Firefighters giving a lead:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/firefighters-giving-a-lead/

*Union movement*

Building a class-struggle union movement: interview with Irish trade union
organiser, former IRA commander and hunger striker Tommy McKearney:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/building-a-class-struggle-trade-union-in-ireland-interview-with-tommy-mckearney/

NZ Rail and Maritime Transport union organiser John Kerr: “Appeasement
doesn’t work”:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/appeasement-doesnt-work-the-bosses-and-their-lackeys-in-government-always-want-more-rmt-organiser-john-kerr/

Christchurch teachers: cap in hand gets kick in guts:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/christchurch-teachers-cap-in-hand-gets-kick-in-guts/

Pay and income gaps continue to widen: where’s the opposition?:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/3215/

More job losses, but where’s the fightback:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/more-job-losses-but-wheres-the-fightback/

Low horizons and the legacy of defeats:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/low-horizons-and-the-legacy-of-defeats/

An Australian take on What will it take to Rebuild the Unions:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/what-will-it-take-to-rebuild-the-unions/

And on a more positive note: Greek lessons: workers occupy factory,
continue production:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/greek-lessons-workers-occupy-factory-continue-production/

and there’s an interview with a spokesperson for the occupation here:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/workers-self-management-only-solution-interview-with-spokesperson-for-vio-me-occupation/

Veteran workplace and political activist Don Franks on Which way forward
for workers and unions:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/which-way-forward-for-workers-and-unions/

*And on the Labour Party*

Workers, unions and Labour: unravelling the myths:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/workers-unions-and-labour-unravelling-the-myths/

Labour’s leadership contest: illusions and confusions on the left:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/labours-leadership-contest-illusions-and-confusions-on-the-left/

The truth about Labour:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/the-truth-about-labour-a-bosses-party/

Philip Ferguson