[Marxism] Review of Andrew Ross, "Creditocracy and the Case for Debt Refusal" | Inside Higher Ed

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 07:44:46 MST 2014

Well this is disappointing. My impression from blurbs and reviews is that
Ross is following in David Graeber's footsteps, i.e. his obsession with
debt as the prime explanation for everything. Which would be predictable,
given Ross's key role in Occupy's debt-related campaigns. So I was hoping
McLemee would take that on, but from this column and his own description of
the coming next installment, doesn't seem to be the case.

Ross is a wonderful guy, a dedicated activist, and an amateur magician to
boot! But if no-one else takes on his book critically I guess I'll have
to... sigh.

PS: I recently got an online subscription to Historical Materialism, and
skimming through the back issues it was SOOOO refreshing to see serious
theorists engaging in a sophisticated way with issues of Marxist economics,
history and philosophy -- even strategy! Refreshing because it came after a
couple years of watching Occupiers drink the debt theory Kool-Aid.

PS: Ross is a wonderful guy, a dedicated activist, and an amateur magician