[Marxism] How LGBT people are faring the Donetsk People's Republic

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jun 3 11:09:02 MDT 2014

Like many pro-Russian groups, Donetsk’s separatists see LGBT rights as
fundamentally incompatible with a Slavic, Russian Orthodox worldview. At
an April press conference, Denis Pushilin, the leader of the
self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, told reporters, “I don’t have
gay friends and I hope that I wouldn’t have.”

On May 11, the Donetsk and Lugansk regions voted for autonomy in flawed
referenda denounced by Ukraine and Western governments. Pushilin’s
self-styled republic has since appointed a cabinet, naming Russian
political strategist Alexander Borodai its “prime minister.” Borodai has
been linked to Konstantin Malofeev, a Russian businessman who funds
anti-LGBT campaigns, and Borodai’s influence within the separatist
movement appears to be growing.

full:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/susiearmitage/the-chaos-in-east-ukraine-is-hitting-lgbt-people-particularl