[Marxism] India’s Feudal Rapists

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 16:15:19 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <
marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

WHEN a distressed father is reporting his daughter’s disappearance to a
> policeman in India, there are some questions he doesn’t want to hear. “What
> is your caste?” is one of them. Yet, the father, Sohan Lal, said this was
> the first thing the police asked him last Tuesday, when he begged them for
> help. After revealing his low-caste background as a Shakya, Mr. Lal said
> the officers mocked him and refused to lift a finger.

Very interesting. This reminds me of the "black and missing" phenomenon in
America, in which missing white people, especially young women, are
lavished with attention and resources by media and police departments,
while their black counterparts are all but completely ignored.

Here's one notorious case in New York, with close parallels to the one in
India:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-05-06/news/missing-in-action

If you read that all the way through (and it gets pretty grisly), you'll
notice the NYPD's missing-persons policy is applied rather differently to
missing white people.

--
lytlað."