[Marxism] Golden Dawn

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jun 8 05:58:52 MDT 2014

Golden Dawn may also be receiving some assistance from Russia. One of
the novelties of Golden Dawn's brand of neo-Nazism is its antipathy
toward Germany and strong links with Russian and Eastern European
fascist groups. Russia has always been an important player in Greek
politics due to its interests in the eastern Mediterranean. Many Greeks
express admiration for the right-wing, nationalist government of Putin
and his ability to stand up to European capitalists. And, as in Cyprus,
there seems to be a lot of Russian money flowing into Greece. Russia is
currently on a charm offensive in Greece, offering investment and aid in
an obvious attempt to chip away at the EU periphery. A recent editorial
in Pravda offered to make Greece a "prospering state in one year."
Golden Dawn has strong connections to the ultra-nationalist group Russky
Obraz, which in turn has shadowy connections to Russian secret police
and Putin's political party, United Russia. It is entirely likely, even
probable, that Russia sees Golden Dawn as an important element in its
strategy to expand influence in the Eastern Mediterranean, especially in
light of the threat to its bases in Syria.

full:
http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/18239-greeces-golden-dawn-a-wake-up-call-for-europe

---

SS songs and antisemitism: the week Golden Dawn turned openly Nazi
Supporters of the far-right party gave Hitler salutes and sang the Horst
Wessel song outside parliament last week. Helena Smith reports from
Athens on how Golden Dawn has taken on a sinister new tone

         Helena Smith
         The Observer, Saturday 7 June 2014 16.14 EDT

It has been a bad week for democracy in Athens. All around this great
Greek city, the politics of hate now lurk. On Friday I got a taste of it
in the tiny Italian-style cafe I frequent off Syntagma Square.

It arrived in the form of two middle-aged men, both supporters of the
neo-fascist Golden Dawn – and, by their own account, the holders of
university degrees, well-travelled and well-informed. Over espressos,
they began to engage in an animated discussion about all that is wrong
with Greece.

The first, a self-described businessman decked out in designer suit,
brogues and silk tie, blamed the country's economic collapse on
malfeasance, corruption and uncontrolled immigration. "The only way to
teach our filthy politicians is to bring in Golden Dawn," he trilled,
his eyes locked in a fierce glare. "These gentlemen are patriots, proud
Greek nationalists, and they know how to deal with the scum, the
foreigners who never pay taxes, who steal our jobs, who have taken over
our streets."

Dismissing charges that Golden Dawn is a criminal gang masquerading as a
political group, the second – a self-described government employee –
said the far right was the best response yet to the great Jewish
conspiracy of an interconnected banking system that has come with
globalisation. "Let's not forget all the faggots and the Jews, the
wankers who control the banks, the foreigners who are behind them, who
came in and fucked Greece," he insisted. "The criminals who have
governed us, who have robbed us of our future, of our dreams, need a big
thwack."

full:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/07/greece-golden-dawn-fascism-threat-to-democracy