[Marxism] Kargalitsky analysis

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 9 06:44:09 MDT 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrGtwcZY4ns#t=223

What an odd presentation he gave to a pro-separatist gathering in
Britain. He claims that the real conflict is not cultural but economic.
I expected him naturally to discuss the oligarchy but instead his
analysis centered on a Western "upper middle-class" in alliance with
"marginal" elements (not sure what that meant, unemployed? street
peddlers? farmers?) seeking to siphon off the "wealth" of the east,
which generates 60 to 80 percent of the nation's GDP. This of course is
in line with his analysis of Russian society in which the protests
against Putin were a devious "upper middle-class" movement he held in
contempt. This is of course similar to the analysis I heard from some
about the Green movement in Iran that pitted effete, chablis-drinking
snobs against the honest, hard-working proles who drank tea and prayed 3
times a day. What this has to do with Marxism is anybody's guess.