[Marxism] Mummar Qaddafi and Boko Haram

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 9 19:56:48 MDT 2014

On 6/9/14 9:25 PM, Clay Claiborne via Marxism wrote:

> I think there is serious need for more investigation between these two
> now that Boko Haram is so much in the news. What follows in an excerpt
> from a post I wrote in Jan 2012:
> http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2012/01/occupy-nigeria-1st-african-fruits-of_7150.html

Another area worth investigating in terms of the Gaddafi=Nigeria
connection. The Sani Abacha alluded to below was the military goon
running Nigeria when Ken Saro-Wiwa was hung for treason (ie., opposing
oil company depredations):

How Gaddafi died bearing GCFR title
blog | November 17, 2011 - 2:34am | By Atom Lim

‘Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, the leader of Libya who defied a United
Nations flight ban by flying to Niger and Nigeria earlier this week, was
honored with Nigeria's highest medal today, the state radio reported.
Colonel Qaddafi was given the medal of Grand Commander of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria by the military ruler Gen. Sani Abacha at a state
banquet in Abuja on Friday night’.

-The New York Times, May 11 1997.

The late Col Muammar Gaddafi, GCFR! Surprised?

Like you, many Nigerians do not know that the man our Senate President,
David Mark, once called a “madman” during a senate session held a higher
honour in this country than him (Mark).

You see, 14 years ago, we had a military ruler called Sani Abacha. He
hated the “arrogance” of Western countries and would do anything to
spite them. So in the May of 1997 when his friend and fellow anti-West
leader Col. Gaddafi came visiting Nigeria, Gen. Abacha rewarded him with
our nation's highest honour which is traditionally awarded to only
serving or past Nigerian presidents. Of course Nigeria’s pro-democracy
activists at the time would have laughed this off as another of Abacha’s
cruel jokes. But fourteen years and four presidents after, Col Gaddafi
died on October 20 this year, taking the GCFR honour with him to his
ancestors.

It is interesting that at the time of his death, Gaddafi was officially
Nigeria’s enemy. Following the revolution in Libya and Gaddafi’s bloody
resistance of the uprising, the Nigerian government on August 23
recognised Gaddafi’s enemies as “legitimate representatives of the
Libyan people” and called on him to immediately give up power. Our
President, Goodluck Jonathan, was understandably angered by the growing
brutality perpetrated in Gaddafi’s name. The peace-loving son of a
fisherman would have none of it. He, therefore, lent his voice in
support of calls for Gaddafi’s ouster. At one point, his government even
sanctioned a move to hunt down fleeing Gaddafi fighters. You can imagine
how angry the president was at Gaddafi; how shamed our leaders must have
felt that an African leader was causing such mayhem.

Hehehehe.

Did you ask what’s funny? Well, I don’t know about you but it cracks my
ribs that despite the ‘anger’ of our leaders, Gaddafi remained on the
list of Nigeria’s most honoured men. His GCFR was never withdrawn. So it
came to pass that while our government so sternly rejected Col. Gaddafi
and helped to cause his downfall, he remained a ‘titled’ and honoured
man in our official records. Irony has never been better exemplified,
nor is the foolishness of our honours lost on the likes of veteran
writer and critic Chinua Achebe and opposition lawmaker Femi Gbajamila.
A few days ago, both men declined our government’s offer to ‘honour’ them.

The government says it is their loss.

Had they accepted the honour, both Achebe and Gbajamila would have been
eligible to join an elite organisation called Association of National
Honours Awardees (ANHA). Yes, you read right and if you think I made it
up, visit www.nigerianheroes.org. On this website, the association makes
clear that membership is open to “any person who has been conferred with
the National Honours Award and is duly gazette”. Such a person is also
required to pay a registration sum of N25, 000. I am not sure who is the
president of this association but I sure would have loved to get their
view on disciplinary measures for errant members. Perhaps this would
give insight into what the federal government would have done with
Gaddafi’s honour once Senator Mark realised that Gaddafi was a “madman”
or when Jonathan saw the need to cut ties with his regime and everything
it represented. As it stands, Gaddafi remains a bona fide deceased
member of the ANHA. If ever the list of national honours awardees is
complied, his name will sit at the top; unless of course if the
secretary typing decides to save our country the ‘shame’.