[Marxism] Thai junta joins anti-imperialist camp

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 11 18:07:28 MDT 2014

On 6/11/14 7:54 PM, Michael Karadjis via Marxism wrote:

> ttp://www.ndtv.com/article/world/thailand-army-delegation-visits-china-amid-western-reproach-of-coup-539567
>
> Thailand Army Delegation Visits China amid Western reproach of coup
> World | Reuters | Updated: June 11, 2014 11:55 IST

Reminds me of the time Walter Lippmann made the case for the Myanmar
military.

http://lists.csbs.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2007-October/163609.html

Since Bush's shrill appeals for democracy in and sanctions
against the government of Myanmar, there's been a drop in the
enthusiasm among some on the left who'd quickly rallied to
back the protests in Myanmar/Burma. This drop-off hopefully
reflects a need to reflect a bit before reacting once we start
to see what may be behind Washington's calls for "democracy"
more or less anywhere in the world. There's an excellent item
posted elsewhere today about how Washington imposed "democracy"
on Cuba after it intervened to block Cuban independence in 1898.

What happened in Cuba a century ago is but a cruder example of
such practices than we're now seeing unfolding in Iraq where
Washington directly overthrew Saddam's dictatorship and quickly
installed a more modern-styled regime. Yes, the regime in Burma
is a military dictatorship, but has Bush called for sanctions in
Saudi Arabia or other repressive places whose regimes he backs?

Of course not. That's why it's a good idea to stop for a moment
for, uh, "station identification", before we, however positive
our intentions are, we add our voices to the chorus which Bush
and Washington were so busily trying to generate. I'm looking
forward to the second article in this series.

Walter Lippmann
Havana, Cuba