[Marxism] Gramsci cocktails, anyone?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 12 16:55:42 MDT 2014

 From the July 2014 Harpers:

 From an online petition submitted in April to Piero Fassino, the mayor
of Turin, requesting that he persuade the Spanish multinational NH
Hotels not to name its new four-star location in the city after Antonio
Gramsci, a Marxist theoretician and co-founder of the Communist Party of
Italy. The hotel is located in the palazzo in which Gramsci lived
between 1919 and 1921. Translated from the Italian by Anthony Lydgate.

---

We can do nothing to prevent the march of progress from making a hotel
out of what ought to be a place of collective memory. But we can speak
out when a name — Antonio Gramsci — falls prey to the banality of
marketing and is stripped of all meaning, like Napoleon-branded cognac.
We cannot allow his intense, boyish eyes and generous head of hair to
become the stylized lines of a logo on a pamphlet. We cannot allow his
name to plunge from the heights of proud leftist debate to the depths of
chatter about hydromassage and minibars common among those who frequent
luxury hotels. Nothing justifies such commercialization, least of all a
“library of complete works” and a few culturally themed cocktails.