[Marxism] NYU's new board of trustees chair -- his charter school is tough on 5 year olds

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jun 14 19:27:18 MDT 2014

On 6/14/14 9:01 PM, Sheldon Ranz wrote:
> Israel Shamir published an article, "The Fateful Triangle", in this
> weekend's edition of Counterpunch.  Here is the relevant passage:
>
> "US Jews are divided on the Ukraine, as they were divided on Palestine.
> Friends of Palestine, people with a strong anti-imperialist record and
> sound knowledge of East European history – Noam Chomsky and Stephen F.
> Cohen — recognised and renounced the US attempt to sustain their
> hegemony by keeping brazen Russia down. A subset of people, Gilad Atzmon
> aptly called AZZ (anti-zionist zionists), Trots and other faux-Leftist
> shills for NATO like Louis Proyect – called for American intervention
> and brayed for Russian blood."

Shamir is so discredited that I should take this as a compliment. I
generally ignore all the "anti-imperialist" articles on CounterPunch,
especially anything written by Shamir.

In terms of my calls for "American intervention", this is just another
symptom of the intellectual degradation of this milieu. I have never
called for American intervention anywhere in the world. People like
Shamir deduce that because I wrote articles attacking Putin, Gaddafi,
and al-Assad. It doesn't matter to Shamir that I didn't call for
intervention. He just goes ahead and says it. Who cares if it is true or
not?

This is what you would expect from someone with a real animosity toward
the left. If you go to his website (http://www.israelshamir.net) and
click "The Left", you will find some really hair-raising items like "The
Marxists and the Lobby" that makes the case for Lyndon Larouche, a guy
who used to send his cult followers to break up CP meetings in NYC with
nunchucks and then went on to build alliances with the KKK, met with
Reagan staffers, etc.