[Marxism] U.S. and Iran Signaling New Joint Effort in Iraq Crisis - NYTimes.com

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jun 16 19:15:37 MDT 2014

On 6/16/14 8:22 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:
>  Obama was guided by Kissinger's dictum that America has no permanent
> friends or enemies, only interests?
If so, he's come a long way, particularly for a Democrat. But events seem
to be moving rather fast.

It's a not uncommon problem to create a monster and find to your
dismay that it has turned. Particularly for imperial powers.

Of course I'm chortling snidely at this latest development. In a sense
it's starting to look like a replay of the Iran-Iraq war -- the oil
sheikhs bankrolled that one too, as I recall. They seem to be
feeling their oats a bit more these days, however, and are clearly
less concerned with what Uncle might think.

Hard to say where this one is going to go. Wouldn't it be lovely
if Uncle finally threw Israel under the bus? That would please the
sheikhs *and* the ayatollahs, though the latter would be the
bigger winners, I'd think. Greater Syria!

I know, I know -- unlikely, but a guy can dream, can't he?

I wonder what the Turks are thinking. They contributed to the
creation of this monster, and they may now get a breakaway
Kurdistan on their border for their pains. No good deed goes
unpunished, as the man said.

They must be shitting bricks in Amman. Jordan as the new Belgium.

What role will the Russkis play? Now *there*, if you please, is a
delightful topic of revery. I think we can be sure they won't be passive.

What delights me most is that all the weisenheimers' settled certainties
are now called into question. Once again we are reminded that history
is not over.

I know, I'm getting over-excited. Time for a cold shower.