[Marxism] Iraq's Night is Long.

Prashad, Vijay Vijay.Prashad at trincoll.edu
Tue Jun 17 09:21:39 MDT 2014

News does not get better from Iraq. There is stasis outside Baghdad. The city is tense. Troops dash about. Is there a strategy? Is the oil boiling; are the arrows sharp? The siege of Baghdad has commenced, but only from the north.

Here is my report for Counterpunch,http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06/17/iraqs-night-is-long/. It relies upon Sinan Antoon's  great translation of the Darwish poem, on the reports of Radwan Mortada, Martin Chulov, Jenan Moussa, Falah Alwan’s statement (via Ali Issa), and my own reporting from Iraq and Greater Syria. It is a painful story to write.

If you want the movie version, here is my report to the Real News last night, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7EUz95nOiU<https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dk7EUz95nOiU&h=OAQHqFuDe&s=1>.

Here is the depressing precis, "There is no objective basis for Iraqi nationalism, as there is none for Syrian nationalism. These are fractured countries, broken by war. Syrians and Iraqis are prisoners in a burning prison. There are no easy, unbarred exits.”

Warmly, Vijay.