[Marxism] Re And I thought I was the only person who couldn't stand Sebastian Budgen

h0ost host at mailoo.org
Wed Jun 18 10:04:17 MDT 2014

On 06/18/2014 11:11 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> The strange thing is that some of the most vociferous defenders of
> "classical" Marxism like Vivek Chibber seem utterly oblivious to the sea
> change taking place and are preoccupied by the widespread influence of
> Derrida, Foucault et al--as if that matters to an adjunct who can't
> afford a dentist.

The adjuncts I know are some of the most avid readers of Foucault, as
well as of Marx, Lenin and the rest of the people worth reading.  They
care as much about radical ideas as the tenured leftist in the better
offices.

Can anyone deny the fact that education is the crucial arena for the
class struggle these days?  Where did the energy come from for Occupy,
or what's happening with Sawant in Seattle?  It came from the academy.

All this to say that, in 2014, the academy is no less of a terrain for
class struggle, than the (almost non-existent) factory floor.