[Marxism] Re And I thought I was the only person who couldn't stand Sebastian Budgen

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:35:10 MDT 2014

The hierarchy is immensely more arcane and complicated than this, perhaps
because there has never been a UAW to make it more standardized.

THE ideological foundation of an academic self-perception centers on the
notion that it is somehow, when all is said and done, a meritocracy.  And
that there a key signifiers that provide a shorthand for merit.  Tenure is
only one of them . . . and it is not necessarily the most important.  A
graduate student in an elite university might well rank higher than the
hard working employed academic in a lesser institution, whether tenured or
adjunct.

As far as the organized Left is concerned, that same grad student can be
the voice of the oppressed proletarian against the armchair (ie., not a
member of a sect) petty bourgeois academic.  I have seen this, experienced
it and laughed about it for many years.

Whatever the yardstick, the plebes are just not going to measure up . . .
particularly if they don't stay in their place.

The problem comes when we buy into that meritocracy stuff or, worse, the
notion that some institutional connection means merit.

Solidarity,
Mark L.