[Marxism] Children of Paradise and the Redemptive Power of Art » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jun 20 11:58:10 MDT 2014

Marcel Carné's Masterpiece
Children of Paradise and the Redemptive Power of Art
by LOUIS PROYECT

Recently Jeffrey St. Clair polled a group of CounterPunch contributors
on what they considered to be the greatest 100 films ever made (coming
soon). My list omitted “Children of Paradise”, a 1945 French film that
was sitting on my shelf for a couple of months incarnated as two Netflix
DVD’s (the film runs for 195 minutes). Let me make amends for that now
after having seen it for the first time—where have I been all these
years? Although I didn’t rate my top 100 in order of greatness, Marcel
Carné’s masterpiece, about which Francois Truffaut once said “I would
give up all my films to have directed Children of Paradise”, would
certainly be among the top ten.

When you enter the world of “Children of Paradise” that is set in the
1830s, you recognize immediately an air of artifice that begins with the
opening scene, an image of a curtain that upon lifting reveals hundreds
of Parisians milling about a street filled with acrobats, clowns,
magicians, jugglers and other artists performing in the open air. The
street was known as the Boulevard of Crime, not so much for assaults on
the citizens who flocked there but for the theaters that specialized in
policiers.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/06/20/children-of-paradise-and-the-redemptive-power-of-art/