[Marxism] Fwd: Dr. Tim “Asad” Anderson: the abuse of academia to spread out propaganda | mabisir ما بيصير

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 08:30:02 MDT 2014

http://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/146/
This is a wonderful article by Andrea Glioti, and should be distributed
widely. At the same time, I say this a little sadly, as I want to give
some information about Dr Tim Anderson who Glioti criticises here. The
word “reluctant” in my title refers to my own reluctance, clearly not to
Glioti’s.

In 1978, Tim was arrested by the Australian police along with 2
colleagues from the Ananda Marga Indian leftist-oriented religious sect,
and framed up for allegedly planning to bomb the house of a National
Front (fascist) leader. The police agent who was allegedly with them in
the car when he alleged they were planning this action also claimed the
three boasted about bombing the Hilton Hotel during the meeting of
Commonwealth heads of Government in Sydney earlier in 1978. The three
spent 7 years in prison on the first charge before being pardoned in
1985, and then Tim was arrested again for the Hilton bombing following
the testimony of a prison informer, before being acquitted in 1991. This
followed years of campaigning by the Campaign Exposing the Frame-up of
Tim Anderson (CEFTA). Here is some information on the issue and
campaign:
http://www.justiceaction.org.au/home/justact/public_html/index.php?title=Hilton_Hotel_bombing#Timeline_of_Hilton_Bombing_case_and_the_Frame-up_of_Tim_Anderson

Tim thus represented this important struggle against police frame-ups
and the power of the deep state, and is quite a symbol in that way.
Since his release, he has been a tireless campaigner around many issues,
and is prominent in Cuba Solidarity.

Tim coordinates a course at Sydney University in the Political economy
department called “Human Rights in Development” which I had the
privilege to teach for two semesters. I can speak glowingly of this
course, which he ahs designed, as perhaps the best course of know of in
Sydney tertiary institutions. It is a thorough expose of imperialism in
the field of international “development”. I also helped some Cambodian
activists get in contact with Tim with the aim of one of them coming to
Australia to study in his course.

There is nothing in his course which would tell one either way that
someone teaching it would end up on the side of the Syrian issue that I
have, or that Tim has. In a sense, this can come back to the differing
meanings of “anti-imperialism” that is currently a topic of debate on
the GreenLeft discussion list, and of course throughout the left more
generally. Thinking back I can perhaps remember Tim giving slightly more
emphasis to the role of a somewhat strong state in a developing
capitalist country to allow it some measure of independent development
relative to imperialism, compared to the emphasis I would put; I would
tend to emphasise the power of the working class and people’s movements
much more. While certain aspects of state functioning are indeed
preferable to lack of any, when the power of the capitalist state comes
into conflict with that of the people’s movement, I have no doubt which
I support, and no doubt which side of the equation is more important in
terms of real independence from imperialism.

However, when the question is put abstractly, there is simply nothing in
such statements (about relative importance of the state) to tell what
view one might adopt in concrete circumstances, such as in Syria now,
and in some senses one may even be able to agree somewhat abstractly.
For example, is the Cambodian capitalist state weak or strong? It is
weak when it gives everything to the IMF and WTO that they demand, and
when it couldn’t bust corruption if corruption were a balloon at a kids’
party; it is strong when it shoots striking garment workers dead. For
example, Tim was long very involved in the struggle of the East Timorese
people against Suharto’s Indonesian military dictatorship, and remains
strongly attached to East Timor now. It would never occur to me that Tim
would abstractly prefer Suharto’s “strong” state to the “weaker” states
that have succeeded his rule. So it would be difficult for me to suggest
that Tim’s current view on Syria necessarily flows from anything we were
teaching in his course.

While many on the left have ended up with something of a “plague on both
your houses” view on Syria, or at least something approaching it, it is
somewhat unfortunate personally that two colleagues who have worked on
the same wonderfully anti-imperialist course that is Tim’s proud
creation have ended up on diametrically opposed sides of the spectrum on
this issue. If either of us was in the wishy-washy camp it may be
easier. But at the end of the day, we advocate what we believe. However
aghast I may be over the support given by Tim and so many other leftists
to a fascist regime which has turned the whole of Syria into a moonscape
just to keep a narrow clique of mega-capitalists in power, I find it
difficult to not maintain my respect for Tim as a person, given the
history.

Yet going beyond advocating a point of view, and actually going to visit
Assad and be photographed for the world’s media shaking hands with him
while he was furiously barrel-bombing Aleppo last December, does make
things more difficult. And the fact that Tim entered the spotlight under
a frame-up by the Australian police, yet now supports a regime whose
police and military repression make the Shah of Iran a mere
authoritarian and make Mubarak a raving democrat, seems a case of
cognitive dissonance if ever there was one.

That is why, with all due respect which I maintain for Tim, I am
publishing this article by Andrea on my blog and will distribute widely,
in the interests of frank and comradely discussion.

Michael Karadjis