[Marxism] Watch as John Oliver's Latest Epic Rant Hilariously Nails Dr. Oz and the Supplement Industry

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Mon Jun 23 14:55:09 MDT 2014

Anyone given over to supplements (and who hasn't been, at some time) has
to watch this whole hilarious expose, right to the end. No one
apparently can do it quite like Oliver:

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/watch-john-olivers-latest-epic-rant-hilariously-nails-dr-oz-and-supplement-industry?akid=11947.150648.gxeBeq&rd=1&src=newsletter1005949&t=3
Personal Health
AlterNet <http://alternet.org> / /By/ /Janet Allon
<http://www.alternet.org/authors/janet-allon>/

WATCH as John Oliver's Latest Epic Rant Hilariously Nails Dr. Oz and the
Supplement Industry

"We're all looking for flowery language from our physicians."
/
June 23, 2014 /  |

Look, even John Oliver can admit that Dr. Oz is a terrifically
good-looking man. "Any seat Dr. Oz is in is the hot seat," Oliver
cracked about the TV huckster's turn being grilled last week in a Senate
hearing about the dietary supplement industry.

Oprah's favorite doctor admitted during the hearing that his blatant
peddling of "miracle weight loss" products is just a tad bit overblown
in the hearing, though he still managed to make a number of questionable
assertions, like, "No one is claiming magic" (actually, he has claimed
magic a number of times,) and admitted he sometimes uses flowery
language to appeal to his audience.

"Yes," retorted Oliver. "We're all looking for flowery language from our
physicians."

Oliver's Sunday night rant about the dietary supplement industry,
clocking in at 16:25 minutes, was quite possibly his most epic rant yet.
It started with Oz ("Name me one case where a man named Oz claimed
mystical powers and led people astray") and moved from there to the
deplorably unregulated and staggeringly profitable dietary supplement
industry. Full of both facts and cracks (fact: Since 1994, the dietary
supplement industry has grown from a $4 billion industry to a $32
billion industry), Oliver hammered away brilliantly exposing the
"shockingly overrated" and sometimes dangerous claims of the purveyors
of supplements.

No doubt supplements are very popular. "More people wrote to their
congressmen about dietary supplements than about the Vietnam War," the
English comedian informs. But do people really know what they are
getting when they buy and take these "magic" pills?

Watch this rant, both terrifically informative and hilariously entertaining

---