[Marxism] Fwd: Thirsty West: Oregon may be California’s agricultural future.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 25 07:37:08 MDT 2014

For years, we’ve been told by corporate farms from Kansas to California
that they’re “feeding the world,” so they deserve every drop of water
currently coming their way, global warming and dwindling aquifers be
damned. After driving through the West for a month—including
California’s Central Valley, the belly of America’s agribusiness beast—I
think they’re right. Farmers deserve to keep getting the majority of our
water. But just not the way they’re currently running things, which is
skewed by huge subsidies at odds with public health.

full:
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/06/thirsty_west_oregon_may_be_california_s_agricultural_future.html