[Marxism] Fwd: LENIN'S TOMB: Twitter warning

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jun 29 07:32:33 MDT 2014

Richard Seymour gets it right:

First, clearly, 140 characters makes a difference.  It's supposed to.
The concision demanded by this form lends itself to, among other better
things, the formulation of statements in the form of sentiments and
platitudes.  It is not a format best suited to rigorous argument, but to
the emphatic reiteration of dogma and sentimentality.

Second, Twitter is a marketing platform, which is designed to foster
short-term buzz and hype.  It would be absurd for me to be pious about
this aspect of Twitter, since I depend upon it to circulate my writing,
and advertise upcoming events.  Still, this has effects.  The whole
point of Twitter is that to fully participate in it, one has to get
carried away with passing frenzies.

http://www.leninology.co.uk/2014/06/twitter-warning.html