[Marxism] To nationalize or not to nationalize?

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 19:28:07 MDT 2014

On Jul 1, 2014, at 2:26 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> Then I got to the end of the article and noticed this:
>
> On 25th May, a several thousand-strong demonstration of DPR supporters gathered by the Akhmetov residence, militia members seized control of the residence, and DPR Prime Minister Alexander Boroday announced the start of negotiations with the businessman.
>
> Later Boroday announced that the DPR DECIDED NOT TO NATIONALIZE [emphasis added] Akhmetov’s enterprises. He noted that Akhmetov’s statements “against the DPR” and his refusal to pay taxes into the republic’s budget are “illegal”.
>
> ---
>
> One of the most woeful aspects of the "anti-imperialist" turn, first in Syria and now in Ukraine is the reckless disregard for journalistic integrity. An article's headline proclaims that an oligarch's factories and mines will be nationalized and then you discover that the whole thing was called off. If you ever run into me posting crap like this on my blog, you have permission to take away my Macbook and send me off to Miami Beach to count pelicans.

The article isn't clearly written, but the contradiction is only apparent: the passage you quote occurs in a section of historical background, beginning with this paragraph:

"We remind that head of the praesidium of the DPR Supreme Council Denis Pushilin announced the start of the process of "nationalisation in the region on 20th May."

The final paragraph - following the two you quoted - seems to report a decision subsequent to Boroday's, effectively reversing it:

"We note that in mid-June the DPR government also reported on their intentions to nationalise the property of the Ukrainian state located at the republic’s territory by the end of 2015, including the Mariupol trading port."