[Marxism] Fuck! I can't get medical marijuana

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 1 09:09:57 MDT 2014

http://www.theawl.com/2014/05/new-york-politicians-nervously-try-weed
Thursday, May 1st, 2014
Drug Wars

New York Politicians Nervously Try Weed
John Herrman @ 10:20 am

In January, Governor Cuomo proposed a legal weed baby step. The plan was
to limit dispensing to a small group of hospitals: Marijuana would be
legal for medicinal use but difficult to acquire, available for severe
conditions and only at the discretion of a "board of doctors." The
boldest thing about this legislation was that it contained the word
"marijuana" (legally: "MARIHUANA"); activists worried it was so
cumbersome that nobody would bother to take advantage of it. Above all
it was presented as safe: for patients, for The Children, and for
politicians who might be interested in supporting it. But apparently not
safe enough!

To get the bill through the Senate, sponsors made a few changes. Now
they think it might have a chance of getting passed:

     On Friday, Bolstered by growing public acceptance and hints of
support from Gov. Cuomo, proponents of pot as medicine believe newly
re-drafted legislation will be approved in Albany this spring – making
New York the 22nd state to legalize medical marijuana.

     "We're closer to this than we have ever been before," said Gabriel
Sayegh of the Drug Policy Alliance.

But this re-draft was significant. Maybe fatally so! The original
proposal gave doctors discretion about what constituted a "SEVERE
DEBILITATING OR LIFE-THREATENING CONDITION"; now, there is a strict list:

     CANCER POSITIVE STATUS FOR HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS OR ACQUIRED
IMMUNE DEFICIENCY SYNDROME, AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS, ALZHEIMER'S
DISEASE, MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY, TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY AND POST-CONCUSSION
SYNDROME, DYSTONIA, PSORIASIS, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,
DAMAGE TO THE NERVOUS TISSUE OF THE SPINAL CORD WITH
     OBJECTIVE NEUROLOGICAL INDICATION OF INTRACTABLE SPASTICITY,
EPILEPSY, CACHEXIA, WASTING SYNDROME, CROHN'S DISEASE, POST-TRAUMATIC
STRESS DISORDER, NEUROPATHY, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, LUPUS, AND DIABETES

No colitis or glaucoma!

(clip)

I thought my glaucoma had an upside. No such luck. That, and his backing
for charter schools, is reason enough to stick a pitchfork in Cuomo.