[Marxism] Stephen F. Cohen is not the man he used to be | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:42:15 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-02, at 3:50 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Ever since the crisis in the Ukraine broke out, Stephen F. Cohen has been campaigning on behalf of a Kremlin that he warns is being unfairly demonized by the West as part of an effort to start a new Cold War. Some of his arguments can only be described as ludicrous. For example: “That the Ukraine crisis was instigated by the West’s attempt, last November, to smuggle the former Soviet republic into NATO.” In fact, despite the millions of words to this effect from the pro-Putin left, this is what the new foreign minister stated on March 29th:
>
> 	Acting Foreign Affairs Minister of Ukraine Andriy Deschytsia has once again stated that the new Ukrainian government is not intending to lead Ukraine to NATO.
>
> 	“We are considering all options regarding the strengthening of our security and collective security. But we must stick to the existing legislation of Ukraine,” he said at a press conference in Kyiv on Saturday.
>
> 	The official noted that in accordance with the Ukrainian legislation Ukraine is a non-aligned state.

You characteristically neglected to add:

"But the issue whether to change this legislation depends on the Ukrainian parliament. The program of the new Ukrainian government does not contain the intention of becoming a member of NATO," he said.

Deschytsia added that Ukraine supports an intensive dialogue with NATO and is discussing different forms and ways of cooperation.

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/198372.html