[Marxism] [Pen-l] Stephen F. Cohen is not the man he used to be | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri May 2 17:27:47 MDT 2014

On May 2, 2014, at 6:27 PM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> Do you actually have an analysis of why NATO needs to close in on Russia?

There was an earlier Crimean War, you know. The map hasn't
changed all that much.  Indeed I find it remarkable how
little seems to have changed. It even sheds a retrospective
light on the Cold War. Perhaps that was just the same old
story with some of the signs reversed.

But now we're back to the polarities of Palmerston's day.
Enlightened opinion deplores the backward old Bear and its
autocratic political institutions. And of course although
there are plenty of anti-Semites on all sides, everybody's
bubbeh has told him, repeatedly, that the Czar is the
*worst*.

>  I can understand why Michael would have become a Maoist when he was young.

Actually, I rather doubt that you can, Louis, but I appreciate the
imaginative effort.

Michael Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net

A man should take care not to be made a proverb; and, therefore, should avoid having any one topick of which people can say, "We shall hear him upon it."

--Dr J