[Marxism] These People Are Still Being Held by Armed Separatists in Ukraine

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Sun May 4 17:52:12 MDT 2014

Odessa blaze was a savage collision of hooliganism and politics

by Michel Moutot
The Daily Star, Beirut
May 5, 2014

ODESSA, Ukraine: The deaths of 42 people in Odessa that greatly added
to the toll of Ukraine’s crisis had its roots not only in the
worsening political confrontation but also rampant football
hooliganism.

The clashes that culminated in a horrific inferno of a trade union
building that killed 38 people – most of them pro-Russian activists –
began Friday with what was meant to be a peaceful march to a football
stadium for a 5 p.m. match.

Supporters of Odessa’s home team, the Chornomorets, joined up with
those of the visiting Metalist side, from Ukraine’s northeast city of
Kharkiv, to head to the game.

Originally there were no plans to have the 1,500-strong march turn
into what it became: a rally calling for Ukrainian unity.

“It was some of the young supporters – and in this country it’s the
young who are naturally more in favor of a united Ukraine than backing
Russia,” said Natalia Petropavlovska, a leader of the pro-Maidan
movement behind the protests that drove out Ukraine’s previous
Kremlin-friendly government.

The march, draped in the yellow and blue of both Ukraine’s flag and
the club colors of Metalist, was set upon by several hundred
pro-Russian thugs obviously prepared for violence, some armed and
wearing ski masks and helmets, witnesses said.

In the melee that ensued, at least four people died from gunshots and
a dozen people were wounded.
. . .

<http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/International/2014/May-05/255360-odessa-blaze-was-a-savage-collision-of-hooliganism-and-politics.ashx#axzz30nDlRI00>