[Marxism] What Vladimir Putin chooses not to know about Russian history - latimes.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 5 05:52:57 MDT 2014

On 5/5/14 1:22 AM, h0ost wrote:

> I won't even speak to the points about food and goods being in less
> supply, but this is the most absurd mis-characterization of Odessa's
> recent history, or Soviet policies, I've ever read.

Odessa is a horrible town. It's common knowledge. Instead of saying "a
great difference," people them say "two great differences," and "tuda i
syuda" they pronounce "tudoyu i syudoyu"! And yet I feel that there are
quite a few good things one can say about this important town, the most
charming city of the Russian Empire. If you think about it, it is a town
in which you can live free and easy. Half the population is made up of
Jews, and Jews are a people who have learned a few simple truths along
the way. Jews get married so as not to be done, love so as to live
through the centuries, hoard money no they can buy houses and give their
wives astrakhn jackets, love children because, let's face it, it is good
and important to love one's children. The poor Odessa Jews get very
confused when it comes to officials and regulations, but it isn't all
that easy to get thorn to budge in their opinions, their very antiquated
opinions. You might not be able to budge these Jews, but there's a whole
lot you can learn from them.To a large extent it is because of them that
Odessa has this light and easy atmosphere.

Isaac Babel, "Odessa"

 From Collected Stories at
http://books.google.com/books?id=y8XBQp0rsfEC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false