[Marxism] Readers of Marx and Engels Decry Publisher’s Assertion of Copyright - Research - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Lüko Willms marxmail at lws-media.de
Mon May 5 14:29:08 MDT 2014

on Mittwoch, 30. April 2014 at 22:38, Einde O'Callaghan wrote:

> The material has now been removed and we've started examining the stuff
> to see what was originally published in English, e.g. Engels's articles
> for the Northern Star, Marx's articles for the New York Tribune or the
> Minutes of the IWMA. We've also started looking for available
> non-copyright translations of the material taken down. And we've begun
> to re-translate some of the material

  You could also make a new try to convince L&W that they are shooting themselves in their foot and will get far less money from this copyright shark than what he is promising them. And that they will not sell less printed books because of that deal.

  And that they would be better of with a deal that MIA puts a link to the L&W shop where the readers could order a printed copy of the book.

  This story reminds me of the blunder which the US computer company Unisys made by demanding a fee for their patented LZW compression algorithm which was used by Compuserve in their GIF graphic format. Unisys was just getting a lot of bad press.

  They should instead have required that each shelf copy of a software using the LZW algorithm had to state that this software originated from Unisys, showing the Unisys logo, and a similar requirement for downloadable software. Shortsighted fools they are.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms