[Marxism] Readers of Marx and Engels Decry Publisher’s Assertion of Copyright - Research - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Mon May 5 14:52:28 MDT 2014

On 05.05.2014 22:29, Lüko Willms wrote: on Mittwoch, 30. April 2014 at
22:38, Einde O'Callaghan wrote:
>> The material has now been removed and we've started examining the stuff
>> to see what was originally published in English, e.g. Engels's articles
>> for the Northern Star, Marx's articles for the New York Tribune or the
>> Minutes of the IWMA. We've also started looking for available
>> non-copyright translations of the material taken down. And we've begun
>> to re-translate some of the material
>    You could also make a new try to convince L&W that they are shooting themselves in their foot and will get far less money from this copyright shark than what he is promising them. And that they will not sell less printed books because of that deal.
>
>    And that they would be better of with a deal that MIA puts a link to the L&W shop where the readers could order a printed copy of the book.

Under the pressure of the bad publicity Lawrence & Wishart have
announced that they are investigating ways of making at least some of
their stuff available to a wider public. We're waiting to see what their
proposals are.

Meanwhile, we're checking out other available (non-copyright)
translations. And, as already mentioned, we're also working on getting
new translations of at least some of the stuff. The latter is a longer
term project seeing as it took several decades to organise the
translations in the MECW  - and for about half of that time they had the
support of a state power and several western academic institutions in
doing so, something the MIA doesn't have - although we're particularly
pleased that several of the people who work on the MEGA have given their
support to us..

Einde O'Callaghan