[Marxism] Michael Sam Picked by St. Louis Rams in N.F.L. Draft

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 11 08:18:54 MDT 2014

On 5/10/14 7:04 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:
> NY Times, May 10 2014
> Michael Sam Picked by St. Louis Rams in N.F.L. Draft
> By THE NEW YORK TIMES
>
> Michael Sam was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round on
> Saturday, becoming the first publicly gay player to be drafted by an
> N.F.L. team.

A comment on this from my old friend Richard Greener:

Sam's end-of-draft selection caps a shameful episode in American sports
history and the NFL in particular. Sam was the SEC Defensive Player of
the Year. He was the best defensive player in the best college football
conference. All those who previously won this same award have been high
Round 1 selections with a single exception who was selected in Round 2.
They all became instant multi-millionaires. Sam should have easily been
among the top 30 players in the draft and no lower than the top 50. His
selection as #249 will cost him millions of dollars and as a 7th Round
draft choice he is clearly slated to being cut and never making the
actual team. rarely does a late round choice make the team. If he stands
out in training camp, at best he might get a one-year contract at the
league minimum pay. This choice was an act of cowardice by the NFL and
major American sports. It should not be hailed as a victory for anyone
or anything except anti-gay prejudice. Earlier this year I showed all
the data and asked the question which has now been sadly answered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-greener/michael-sam-and-the-nfl_b_4762428.html