[Marxism] They all came to Crimea

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 12 15:35:41 MDT 2014

I am no fan of Timothy Snyder but something tells me that he at least
got this right:

The Russian annexation was carried out, tellingly, with the help of
Putin’s extremist allies throughout Europe. No reputable organization
would observe the electoral farce by which 97 percent of Crimeans
supposedly voted to be annexed. But a ragtag delegation of right-wing
populists, neo-Nazis, and members of the German party Die Linke (the
Left Party) were happy to come and endorse the results. The Germans who
traveled to Crimea included four members of Die Linke and one member of
Neue Rechte (New Right). This is a telling combination.

Die Linke operates within the virtual reality created by Russian
propaganda, in which the task of the European left (or rather “left”) is
to criticize the Ukrainian right—but not the European right, and
certainly not the Russian right. This is also an American phenomenon,
visible for example in the otherwise surprising accord on the nature of
the Ukrainian revolution and the reasonableness of the Russian
counterrevolution expressed in Lyndon Larouche’s Executive Intelligence
Review, the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity, and The Nation.

full: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117692/fascism-returns-ukraine