[Marxism] On the Korean Ferry Tragedy

michael a. lebowitz mlebowit at sfu.ca
Tue May 13 11:07:28 MDT 2014

http://sewolscholars.weebly.com/
*The Sewol Ferry Tragedy as a Warning:
Neoliberal Deregulation and Lack of Democratic Accountability in South Korea
*May 7, 2014

We express our deepest sorrow and condolence for the families of victims
and Danwon High School students who have lost their loved ones in the
sinking of the Sewol Ferry on April 16th. We sincerely hope that the
missing passengers, whose death is not yet confirmed, return to their
families as soon as possible.

The tragedy of the Sewol Ferry sank the heart of not only the Koreans
but also everyone in the world to the deepest of shock and grief, as the
world helplessly watched hundreds of lives drown to death because of the
combination of corruption, ineptitude, and irresponsibility pervasive in
today's Korea. The ferry sank under the weight of deregulation and
privatization: the previous administration relaxed the regulations on a
ferry's life and safety, allowing the Chonghaejin Maritime
Transportation, the Sewol's owner, to import an aged ship and add more
room for passengers and cargos; the safety inspection and the
certification of the ship were left to private entities formed or
heavily influenced by ferry owners; the Park administration allowed the
Chonghaejin to hire temporary workers, including the captain, at a low
wage and without adequate safety training; and the government turned a
blind eye to the illegal overloading of the ferry. Throughout the
tragedy, not only did the Park Geun-Hye administration fail to mobilize
its resources to rescue the passengers in a timely manner: the Coast
Guard never issued an order to rescue the passengers, but only a call to
salvage the ferry; and it relied on a particular private company for the
rescue and salvage, and protected the company's monopolistic operation.
The Park Geun-Hye administration also walked away from democratic
accountability by abandoning its responsibility to protect the people,
systematically controlling the media, and mobilizing the police to
isolate and surveillance the victims' families. Many Koreans, watching
the government's betrayal, began to raise serious questions about
whether they could trust the current government with their lives.

We, the undersigned academics and scholars, share Koreans' sense of
governance crisis in South Korea. Compelled by a sense of urgency that a
similar tragedy can occur again unless the problems exposed by the
tragedy are immediately and adequately addressed, we demand the following:

http://sewolscholars.weebly.com/

--
Michael A. Lebowitz