[Marxism] Against the regime in Kyiv and the junta in the East! AWU-Kyiv statement on the conflict in the Eastern regions (EN, GR) | Автономна спілка трудящих

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 14 09:13:56 MDT 2014

http://avtonomia.net/2014/05/14/regime-kyiv-junta-east-awu-kyiv-statement-conflict-eastern-regions/

Статті / Тра. 14, 2014 / 0 Коментарі
Against the regime in Kyiv and the junta in the East! AWU-Kyiv statement
on the conflict in the Eastern regions (EN, GR)

There is a continuing confrontation on Ukraine’s territory between the
groups of local and Russian ruling class which play off the working
people one against another and stir up enmity, bringing the country
closer to the state of civil war. The events in Mariupol’ are the
embodiment of this confrontation. Many people, the combatants and
civilians, contract military staff and conscripts, as well as
volunteers, have suffered on both sides of the conflict  as a result of
the “anti-terrorist operation”

This is a critical situation for working people. The government treats
all protesting Anti-Maidan people alike: soldiers don’t understand who
they shoot at, and the ones who are being shot at don’t understand what
they die for. Both sides of the conflict manipulate their “foot
soldiers” with a particular cynicism, and because of this the working
people fight for the ideas that do not have anything in common with
their material, class interests. Ukrainian military units and other
armed groups fight for the senseless ideals of national-patriotism and
“unity of a nation”, while separatists fight for the creation of a new
state and/or joining Russia. In all cases the aim is the borgeois
national state with its bureaucrats, police, judges, prisons,
capitalists and paupers.

Even now there are already dozens of victims and deaths as the
consequence of struggle between those two reactionary movements. Army
incompetence, on the one side, and the combatants’ depravity, on another
side, increase the losses significantly.

The highest ranks of Anti-Maidan movement are generally made up of
military retirees, as well as senior police officials, which are loyal
to the previous regime. Therefore, the leadership of the “people’s
republics” in the Eastern regions of Ukraine may indeed be styled as the
junta – the dictatorship of the law enforcement and armed forces.

Fascist groups and criminals present in this movement make the overall
character of junta deeply reactionary and radically contrary to the
class interests of the working people in the Eastern regions.

Pro-Russian propaganda portrays separatist combatants as fighters of
anti-fascist resistance. According to this propaganda, “anti-terrorist
operation” started by Ukrainian government is nothing else but the
attack of Ukrainian fascists from “Right Sector”, whose role in these
and many other events is disturbingly blown way out of proportion.

“Right Sector” is a poorly coordinated coalition of several far-right
organizations. Its social structure consists of far-right youth and
criminal groups. The social structure of “people’s republics” combatants
is mainly similar: teenagers, gangsters and declassed elements. The
popular appeal of “Right Sector” in the present moment is very low (even
lower than that of the totally discredited Communist Party of Ukraine);
moreover, “Right Sector” is in the state of an undercover war with
Ukrainian government.

Owing to the constant PR from the pseudo-antifascist international
community, “Right Sector” acquires the dreadful image of a powerful
organization which almost rules the Ukrainian state, which is obviously
not true. But we are not trying to minimize the problem of fascist
movements in Ukraine. AWU repeatedly emphasized the escalation of
far-right violence, aimed particularly at leftists, as early as 2012,
during Yanukovych’s regime. AWU activists were also attacked. One of our
comrades was almost killed by the neo-nazis who had attacked him with
knives. Also, the location of this year’s May Day march had to be moved
due to the threat of clashes with far-right.

Resisting the fascist movements has been one of the primary tasks of
anarchist movement in Ukraine for a long time. Unlike many
post-Stalinist “antifascists” in Western countries we know this problem
firsthand and not from the Internet. And yet, we and our comrades
managed to organize May Day anarchist marches with social,
anticapitalist and antinational agenda in Kyiv, Kharkiv and Zhytomyr.

Anarchists do not intend to give ground to the nazis and to the
right-liberal government. It was AWU that organized the radical left
protest campaign against the “Bat’kivshyna” ruling party.

We are ready to continue the fight against the state, capital and the
far-right who protect them. But this fight is a hundred times more
difficult when the state, the church, police structures and fascist
movements are united into one force. Such is the situation in Donbass,
where the “army of Donetsk people’s republic” is headed by Igor
Strelkov, the Russian undercover man and a great fan of the historical
Tsarist White Guard movement; where the organizer of the referendum, the
founder of “Orthodox Donbass” movement, consults with the leader of the
oldest post-Soviet neo-Nazi movement, legendary Aleksandr Barkashov;
where activists of Anti-Maidan manifest their solidarity and respects to
another icon of European fascists – Aleksandr Dugin; where co-chairman
of the “Donetsk people’s republic government” Denis Pushilin openly
regrets the revolution of 1917 that put end to tsarism and calls it a
“bloody disaster”.

Social slogans did not fit into the manifests and official documents of
separatists, while there are many phrases about the class peace and the
interests of the “small business”. Criminal and fascist junta on the
East at present organizes the tortures and abductions of trade union
activists.

Nationalism is the deadly enemy of the working people. This is proved by
the current events in Ukraine, when fascists on both sides help the
ruling class to physically fight down the working people. The question
is – how many victims and destructions are needed before Ukrainian
proletariat realizes it.

We demand from the Kyiv government to remove the troops from the cities
immediately, and from the Eastern junta to stop terrorizing peaceful
working people. Our own goal is to keep up the resistance at all fronts
and to build revolutionary labour movement against all the odds.

We call on our fellow Ukrainian workers to line up behind our common
class interests, among which are peace and solidarity, but not the
senseless fight for keeping the territories or their separation. Class
struggle does not have anything to do with the fight for redistribution
of power. Whoever wins in the confrontation between the government and
separatists, – we will lose, that is why its boycott is our priority.
Ignoring the government’s decisions, renouncing the militarism, striking
and building the revolutionary labour movement – such are our weapons
against the war imposed upon us. We can count only on ourselves and the
international solidarity from other left-radical organizations. If we
don’t start to rise now we will face the most difficult times.

No gods, no masters, no nations, no borders!

Workers of the world, unite!