[Marxism] Conchita Wurst's Eurovision Victory Sparks Anger In Russia

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 15 08:28:23 MDT 2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/11/conchita-wurst-eurovision-russia-_n_5304395.html

Victory for Austria's bearded transvestite Conchita Wurst at the
Eurovision Song Contest prompted an outpouring of anti-gay anger from
Russian politicians and stars on Sunday.

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin wrote on Twitter that the
Eurovision result "showed supporters of European integration their
European future: a bearded girl."

"There's no limit to our outrage. It's the end of Europe. It has turned
wild. They don't have men and women any more. They have 'it',"
nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky told Rossiya-1 state television.

"Fifty years ago the Soviet army occupied Austria. We made a mistake in
freeing Austria. We should have stayed," added the leader of the Liberal
Democratic Party, known for his outrageous statements.

Russia's entry, the Tolmachevy Sisters, came seventh.

Russia gave Austria five points -- one more than it awarded Ukraine as
the ex-Soviet neighbours are locked in a deadly crisis.

Russia last year adopted a controversial law banning the "propaganda" of
homosexuality to minors, prompting condemnation from Western leaders and
rights activists. Russia has also banned adoption of Russian children by
foreign gay couples.

Popular hip-hop star Timati wrote on his Instagram account that Wurst's
victory was the result of a "mental illness of contemporary society".

"I wouldn't like one fine day to have to explain to my child why two
guys are kissing or a woman is walking round with a dyed beard and
that's supposed to be normal," he said.

But Ukrainian drag act Verka Serduchka, who came second at Eurovision in
2007, strongly backed Wurst.

"To be honest, at the start it did shock me a bit, but when I saw it, I
thought: why not? A person wants to express himself," said Andriy
Danilko, who performs as Serduchka.

"We need to be more compassionate. I hate when people are bullied,"
Danilko told Rossiya-1 television.

"She is kind. Don't be mean to her. She is an eccentric. An eccentric
with a beard."

Flamboyant pop star Filipp Kirkorov, producer of Russia's Eurovision
entry this year, even suggested Wurst's victory should make Russians
reconsider homophobic views.

"Maybe this is a kind of protest against some of our views in Russia.
Maybe we should have a think. Maybe we shouldn't have such a categorical
attitude to people of different sexual orientations," he told Rossiya-1
television.

"In a way it probably is a challenge from Europe to us, but let's
respect the winner. People don't judge a winner," Kirkorov said.