[Marxism] Workers Take to Streets to Calm Tense Ukrainian City

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 15 16:33:31 MDT 2014

On 5/15/14 5:51 PM, Matthew Russo wrote:
> It is more like Meany's NYC hardhats, except
> instead of punching progressive antiwar hippies, they are being mobilized
> against the conservative revanchist Ulsterite Donetsk Republic.

That's true but what kind of new Paris Commune melts away in such a
fashion? As a rule of thumb, Ukrainian bourgeois politics is run not on
the basis of ideals but on narrow Machiavellian, tactical gains.
Akhmetov was the one who directed Party of Regions MP's to cut off
support for Yanukovych. Initially, he supported efforts to undermine
Kyiv in the east but changed his mind after realizing that this was
sawing off the branch he was sitting on. The main thing to understand is
that Kagarlitsky's business about an incipient proletarian revolution in
Donetsk was a masturbatory fantasy. It is simply beyond me why otherwise
intelligent people would take such nonsense seriously especially when
there are people inside Ukraine who rejected it, like comrade Sergii Kutnii.