[Marxism] The new Paris Commune educates a coalminer

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 18 10:09:51 MDT 2014

When he ripped down a separatist flag from the main government building
in Novohradovka, his hometown in eastern Ukraine, Oleksandr Hurov knew
he was in for trouble.

Retaliation was quick, and ruthless.

Two weeks later, the 36-year-old coalminer lies in a Kiev hospital with
a fractured jaw, a broken nose, a lacerated arm and cracked ribs.

"They beat me nonstop," he told RFE/RL. "I was lying on the ground; they
kicked me and hit me on the head with a gun. One of them held my arm
outstretched while another one jumped on it. I passed out from time to
time, which was great because then I couldn't feel the pain."

Hurov says his assailants called him a "traitor" and tried to peel off
the nationalistic tattoo on his shoulder – inscribed with the words
"Glory to Ukraine, glory to the heroes" – using the jagged edges of a
smashed light bulb.

Hurov's grisly story is an increasingly familiar one in eastern Ukraine,
where pro-Russian separatists are accused of waging a campaign of
abductions and torture as they seek to consolidate their grip on the region.

They have readily admitted to the hostage-takings, which have targeted
local officials, pro-Ukraine activists, journalists, foreign monitors,
aid workers and generally all those deemed critical of the self-styled
"People's Republics" formed last month in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

And with the separatist movement getting more organized, the abductions
appear to have taken on a systematic, methodical nature.

full:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/17/rferl-ukraine-torture/9211457/