[Marxism] Solyent, Neoliberalism and the Politics of Life Hacking » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 19 13:02:38 MDT 2014

Solyent, Neoliberalism and the Politics of Life Hacking
by JEFF SPARROW

Karl Marx famously argued that alienation of labour (our most basic
activity) meant that we felt human only during ‘animal functions’ such
as eating and drinking.

Of course, Marx had never met Rob Rhinehart, the entrepreneur recently
featured in a Lizzie Widdicombe New Yorker piece for his efforts to
replace food with a grey slurry he calls ‘Soylent’.

Rhinehart’s Eureka moment came while he struggled to launch a tech
start-up. Funds dwindling, he resented the expensive inefficiency of
eating – and engineered a solution.

‘You need amino acids and lipids, not milk itself,’ he explained, ‘You
need carbohydrates, not bread.’

Having calculated the various nutrients the entrepreneurial body might
require, he ordered them online. Into a blender went his powders and
potions – and, voila, Soylent.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/05/19/solyent-neoliberalism-and-the-politics-of-life-hacking/