[Marxism] advantages of ebooks | Piety on Kierkegaard

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed May 21 08:56:00 MDT 2014

I view it mostly as the hype that accompanies any new technology.  I was
first told that print was dead around the time that "Ghostbusters" appeared
with that memorable line.

College students in general really don't like being assigned book length
digital readings on a new subject or something unfamiliar to them.  (Yes,
this is a generalization, but it is based on many years of dealing with
classrooms of them.)  When they actually do, I find that they've usually
printed them out. This reflects the general reality of the hype about
making universities and other massive bureaucratic institutions "paperless."

On the other hand, I've been using a kindle for years.  And I have digital
library of primary sources in books and newspapers to which access would be
an issue, much less having them right here.  If you have some specific
interest, the digital material works fine.  But it is a tool, no better
than the quality of its production and its accessibility.

ML