[Marxism] National liberation and Bolshevism reexamined: A view from the borderlands

Joonas Laine jjonas at nic.fi
Wed May 21 10:10:33 MDT 2014

On 05/21/2014 06:46 PM, DW wrote:
> Given the inability of the Russian SDs *prior* to the Russian Revolution to
> ever build a base on parity and mutual respect of with non-Russian SDs,
> weakened *both* and not just the national Marxists. It seems from the
> reading that *unity* of some sort in an all-Empire collaboration was
> needed, which is why the central question early on about what kind of party
> the RSDLP was going to be, was key. The Russians failed this and the result
> was what we see today...which is the turning back of the October Revolution.
>
> Andy, I think, is trying to abstract the question of October from what went
> on before and afterwards (Stalinism, bureaucracy, national oppression). And
> that is the point of the essay: what were the results of the inability of
> the Bolsheviks to grasp and understand the national question in Tsarist
> Russia?

I don't know how many people have read Otto Bauer's 'Social Democracy
and The National Question', it's in German and my German isn't so good,
so I haven't read it yet, but given that Austria-Hungary, like Russia,
was a multinational Empire, Bauer was perhaps in a good position to try
to come to terms with stuff like that.

I've seen some info on the net that Ephraim Nimni translated the book
into English a few years ago, but last time I checked, actual copies of
it were nowhere to be found.

--
jjonas @ nic.fi