[Marxism] National liberation and Bolshevism reexamined: A view from the borderlands

David P Á david at miradoiro.com
Wed May 21 10:51:22 MDT 2014

On 21/05/2014 18:10, Joonas Laine wrote:
> I don't know how many people have read Otto Bauer's 'Social Democracy
> and The National Question', it's in German and my German isn't so good,
> so I haven't read it yet, but given that Austria-Hungary, like Russia,
> was a multinational Empire, Bauer was perhaps in a good position to try
> to come to terms with stuff like that.

Good critique and commentary on such issues from Karl Kautsky,
Nationality and Internationality:
http://www.academia.edu/4720384/Karl_Kautsky_Nationality_and_Internationality_Part_II_1907_

> I've seen some info on the net that Ephraim Nimni translated the book
> into English a few years ago, but last time I checked, actual copies of
> it were nowhere to be found.
My view is that the austro-marxist approach to national autonomy is
untennable. That said, I tend to go with Luxemburg about this kind of
thing and I don't think well of national self-determination and similar
excuses to fragment the class.

--David.