[Marxism] Thailand: Smells like a coup, tastes like a coup, looks like a coup

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 21 19:38:11 MDT 2014

On 5/21/14 8:24 PM, Stuart Munckton wrote:
> At the same time Thaskin, was almost certainly very corrupt and
> responsible for human rights abuses -- but there is nothing new or unique
> in that, and that is not the basis for his support.

Yeah, well, Giles Ji Ungpakorn doesn't think that corruption was a
problem: "People were very angry with the way that the courts seized
Thaksin's wealth. And to be honest, the corruption charges against him
haven't really been proved. In that sense, people are justified to be
angry." (https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/43625)

When I read this sort of thing, I have to wonder how people take him
seriously. I mean, for christ's sake, how else does a Thai become a
billionaire except through the sort of practices found throughout East Asia?

In terms of the farmers in the North, not everything is so rosy as you
would be led to believe from Giles. This is from February 2014:

http://www.euronews.com/2014/02/17/yingluck-under-pressure-from-protesters-as-thai-rice-farmers-demand-payment/

A separate protest by rice farmers at her temporary office demanding
payment for rice could turn out to be more damaging for Yingluck.

Rural voters swept her to power in 2011, when her Puea Thai Party
pledged to pay rice farmers way above market prices for their harvest.
But the programme has run into funding problems and some farmers have
not been paid for months.

“The prime minister is well off but we are not. How are we going to feed
our children? I want her to think about us,” said one protesting farmer.
“Farmers are tough people, they wouldn’t normally speak out but they are
at the end of their tether.”

Farmers’ representatives later met ministers, but when Finance Minister
Kittirat Na Ranong came out to speak to the crowd he was pelted with
plastic bottles.

---

You can find rapturous praise for the Thaksin clan from Andre Vltchek,
the same guy who is a diehard Putin supporter. This is typical:

"Government buildings are being trashed, ransacked. It is happening in
Kiev and Bangkok, and in both cities, the governments appear to be
toothless, too scared to intervene.

"What is going on? Are popularly elected administrations all over the
world becoming irrelevant; as the Western regime creates and then
supports thuggish ‘opposition movements’ designed to destabilize any
state that stands in the way of its desire to fully control the planet?"

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/02/03/west-manufactures-opposition-movements/

For an alternative to the Vltchek and Ungpakorn take on things, I
recommend Michael Pirsch's articles in Truthout, especially this one
that hones in on the Vltchek article:

Vltchek goes on to describe Thaksin as committing "the most unforgivable
crime in the eyes of the Thai elites: Some years back he actually
attempted to convert Thailand from a backwards feudal nation, into some
sort of modern capitalist state"; "Mr. Shinawatra was not an angel and
when he was in power, I criticized him on several occasions. ... And so
they forced Mr. Shinawatra out from office, from Thailand, and in the
end they massacred those that demanded his return."

At this point I will pause and explain why Thaksin was "forced ... out
from office, from Thailand." I will also discuss Vltchek's point that
"in the end they massacred those that demanded his return."

Thaksin was removed from office in 2006 by a military coup conducted
while Thaksin was in New York preparing to give a speech at the opening
session of the United Nations. The night before, Thaksin paid tribute to
the masters of United States foreign and domestic policy, the Council of
Foreign Relations. He was there in his capacity as a vital cog in the
neoliberal policies of creating global corporate government. The coup
was conducted following large-scale protests against Thaksin's
autocratic rule during which he implemented many policies solely to
benefit corporations in which he was the major shareholder. The last
straw came when he sold his telecommunications firm to a Singaporean
entity for several billion dollars. Two days before the deal was
finalized, Thai laws limiting foreign ownership of Thai corporations
were changed to increase that limit to 49 percent. Furthermore, Thaksin
also arranged to have a capital gains tax precedent removed so the deal
would not be subject to any Thai taxes. Yes, the Thai prime minister,
patron saint of populist policies, arranged not to pay more than $400
million in taxes. He did not share any of this with the poor in
Thailand. This "last straw" followed a long train of abuses while he was
prime minister. One Thai politician admitted there was corruption in
Thai politics for a long time. He said, "Taking a bite out of the apple
is expected among politicians, but Thaksin put a fence around the apple
tree for himself only."

full:
http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/22102-errors-and-omissions-from-left-icon