[Marxism] Fish Need Trees, Too

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 22 09:56:45 MDT 2014

On 5/22/14 11:48 AM, DW wrote:
> A very moving and sad essay on why the amazing salmon fishery needs those
> big old growth forests. As someone who regularly fished these same waters
> 10 or so years ago, it really hurts to see how the voracious forest
> industry has made the Forest Service a fiefdom to their board of directors.
>
> David

I should add that the Tongass National Forest is not only necessary for
the survival of salmon; it is also a source of the wood used in the
world's greatest guitars. It is tragic that the land is owned by native
peoples whose tribal leaders have acquiesced in clearcutting since the
timber industry pays them off. There's an excellent documentary on the
topic that I reviewed a while back:

http://louisproyect.org/2013/11/12/musicwood/

You can watch it on Fandor, a subscription streaming service like
Netflix but geared to the cognoscenti:

http://www.fandor.com/films/musicwood