[Marxism] Neil Davidson: The revolutionary process in Ukraine is not over yet | LeftEast

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 23 07:26:03 MDT 2014

Q: How can you describe the overthrow of Yanukovych’s regime in Ukraine
in terms of historical materialist social theory?

A: The revolutionary process in Ukraine isn’t over yet, and in a sense
how we define revolutions depends on their ultimate outcomes, but the
notion of ‘political revolution’ seems to be the most accurate way to
describe the likely short-term outcome. By this I mean a revolution
which doesn’t fundamentally change the nature of society, the mode of
production. In other words, it isn’t a ‘social revolution’, but one
which does change the personnel and perhaps the actual nature of the
regime. Another way of looking at it would to say that political
revolutions occur within the state rather than transforming the state.
This is not to denigrate the courage or creativity of the masses in
Maidan or in similar revolutions – some of the greatest events of the
20th century like the Mexican or Iranian revolutions were political in
this sense: its an argument about outcomes, about consequences, not
processes.

full: http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/ukraine-political-revolution/