[Marxism] Between Two Rationalities: The Possibility of an Alternative Politics in Turkey

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat May 24 08:18:41 MDT 2014

(The HDP referred to below is a left social democratic party, the BDP a
Kurdish rights party. Their alliance has attracted smaller, more radical
groups. I may be wrong but it sounds like a promising development--a
Turkish SYRIZA so to speak.)

The main supporters of the current government—mostly shopkeepers,
small-scale manufacturers, and workers in precarious sectors with a low
level of education—focus on the extent to which their daily needs and
demands have been taken into consideration and met, rather than looking
at the democratic procedures involved, the legality of the actions
taken, or whether or not corruption was involved. The same supporters of
the government remember very well the times before the AKP came to
power, and that the laws and regulations of that era were the results of
a very different mindset, the expressions of another social class. The
bureaucracy of that state, with its corresponding media and judiciary,
were under the control of this other class. In these preceding decades,
corruption also used to be endemic, along with countless extra-legal
executions; current supporters of the AKP have not forgotten how much
they used to be ostracized and degraded. Let me emphasize this one more
time: when we are talking about polarization, we are actually talking
about two differing rationalities, two ways of experiencing the world,
two divergent forms of subjectivity, two different affective economies,
and finally, two different sources of legitimacy. In this context, it is
imperative to draw attention to the political perspective of the
Halkların Demokratik Partisi (HDP) as a way to overcome the stranglehold
of this dichotomy.

 From Revelation to Construction: The Possibility of Alternative Politics

The singular subjectivity of the HDP/BDP can be described by the
confluence of the struggle for equality and freedom under the universal
maxim “to claim my right is my prerogative,” and the concrete historical
experience of social exclusion and deprivation of this right. While
referencing similar precedents, the HDP/BDP counters the expectation to
renounce its memory and abdicate its rights in the name of a fake social
peace. Instead, the movement puts its voice and body unwaveringly into
the public arena, and claiming the ground to mutually defend the rights
of all. From the vantage point of sovereign codes, experiences, and ways
of knowing, this voice may sound like “much ado about nothing.”
Nevertheless, the HDP today is endeavoring to make its demands resonate
on universal grounds while rendering them negotiable, and also to take
other marginalized demands seriously by inviting the aggregation of the
multitude on a wider basis.

full:
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/17832/between-two-rationalities_the-possibility-of-an-al