[Marxism] As Publishers Fight Amazon, Books Vanish - NYTimes.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat May 24 08:43:06 MDT 2014

I don't consider myself well-versed enough in Marxist economic theory to
be overly assertive about this, but it strikes me that Amazon
exemplifies the irrationality of capitalism. Amazon has yet to show
sizable profits but continues to destroy businesses left and right, from
bookstores to publishing houses, from old time brick-and-mortar stores
like Best Buy and Sears. Jeff Bezos's main inspiration is Walmart, a
corporation that has hollowed out much of small town America. Every step
made in the direction of achieving his ultimate goals seems to be one
also calculated to pushing profits downwards.

---

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/amazon-escalates-its-battle-against-hachette/

Amazon’s power over the publishing and bookselling industries is
unrivaled in the modern era. Now it has started wielding its might in a
more brazen way than ever before.

Seeking ever-higher payments from publishers to bolster its anemic
bottom line, Amazon is holding books and authors hostage on two
continents by delaying shipments and raising prices. The literary
community is fearful and outraged — and practically begging for
government intervention.

“How is this not extortion? You know, the thing that is illegal when the
Mafia does it,” asked Dennis Loy Johnson of Melville House, echoing
remarks being made across social media.

Amazon is, as usual, staying mum. “We talk when we have something to
say,” Jeffrey P. Bezos, the founder and chief executive, said at the
company’s annual meeting this week.

(clip)