[Marxism] Is Slavoj Zizek a US propaganda psyop?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon May 26 16:50:40 MDT 2014

On May 26, 2014, at 3:40 PM, "Einde O'Callaghan via Marxism" <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

> My memory from my Latin lessons is that the word order was: "Delenda est Carthago"

That's certainly much better Latin, but the phrase has been
cited for a long time, at least in the Anglophone world, with
'est' at the end. I dimly remember years ago reading a fascinating
history of this development (well, it fascinated me, anyway;
others may prefer to read about Trotsky In Norway, the subject
of a recent book mentioned here). Can't recall now who wrote
the history of brutish old Cato's tag, or any of the details.
Quomodo ceciderunt potentates!

> - I believe that "th" was used in classical Latin to represent
> the sound of the Greek letter "theta", which was similar to the
> voiceless "th" sound in English.

Also the aspirated but un-spirantized 't' (compare the
't' sounds in English 'teen' and Spanish 'latino'). Which
was, of course, also the original realization of theta.
The sages are divided about just when it turned from an
aspirate to a spirant. I was taught to read Homer with
the aspirate pronunciation -- for chi and phi too --
which was deeply confusing to an American ear (American
English has no un-aspirated voiceless stops, except in
clusters).

Now that I'm out of school for good, I use the spirant
renderings with great self-indulgent pleasure. Even to
this day I feel that I'm doing something delightfully
louche.

> And Zizek would definitely merit a "delendus"!

Wouldn't he just. More than Carthage, actually.

Michael Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net

A man should take care not to be made a proverb; and, therefore, should avoid having any one topick of which people can say, "We shall hear him upon it."

--Dr J