[Marxism] From a drunken dog (wasRe: Vladimir Putin's Woman in Paris)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue May 27 08:28:07 MDT 2014

On May 27, 2014, at 8:16 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> Wall Street Journal, May 26 2014
>
> Marine Le Pen wants to neuter the EU as a political force. The
> Kremlin couldn't ask for a better ally.
>
> By John Vinocur

This neocon cur rushes to spew his rabid bilge on the French workers.
The EP elections were a thunderous repudiation of the banker-dominated
EU regime and its antiworkingclass austerity diktats.  Because of the
total failure of the "traditional" Left and Center parties the French
working class, according to French opinion surveys, gave a decisive
plurality (43 percent of its vote) to Marine LePen's FN.  The SP's
President Hollande replied with his typical stiff and stilted
emptiness, his PM Valls with sputtering bile, and his "Hard Left"
counterpart FG leader Mélenchon with incoherent sobs (the whole
traditional Left, all factions included, polled less than the FN) --
while the UMP immediately dumped its Secretary-General Copé and
scrambled to wipe out any memory of Sarkozy (prompted as well by a
corruption scandal that, if it had been disclosed one day earlier,
would have, according to UMP leaders, virtually wiped out that party
and given LePen as much as forty percent of the vote).

The FN is, of course, a petit-bourgeois right-wing party
indistinguishable from the mainstream "Center-Left" and "Center-Right"
in their Drug War policies (and of course in their national
chauvinism, just a little more so) designed to maintain intense police
repression over the immigrant workers and the youth of the suburban
housing blocks. But its main program, of economic and social
protectionism and anti-austerity expansionism, was a pro-worker
program and received an appropriate electoral reward.  On the left
only the Green Party, still a small organization but anti-austerity
and vehemently against the Drug War, held its own and easily outpolled
the Mélenchon--PCF--Pabloite "Left Front." At the present moment it is
clearer than ever (and it has long been clear enough) that the French
Left is totally moribond and has no chance at all of recovery.  My
advice to any French leftists who hope to survive as a political
force: quit all your parties--PS, PCF, FG, NPA--and go en masse into
the Greens to help build the radical and populist political movement
that the proletariat so desperately needs.

   Shane Mage
"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64