[Marxism] What's new at Links: Thai coup, Euro election: Ireland, Britain, Denmark, Crimea & East Ukraine, Asia, India, Comintern, chemicals & disease

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 28 06:12:28 MDT 2014

On 5/28/14 3:36 AM, glparramatta via Marxism wrote:
>     Crimea: Be wary of attempts to use rights of Tatars to justify
>     violence and war <http://links.org.au/node/3868>
>
> By *Roger Annis*
> May 24, 2014 -- The situation of the Tatar population of the Crimea
> peninsula is being cited to discredit the decision in March by the
> people of the Crimea region to secede from Ukraine and join the Russian
> Federation. This article looks at some of the history of the Tatars and
> also at the real situation today as best it can be discerned from afar.

Annis, like Renfrey Clarke, has turned into an embarrassing pro-Russian
hack.

This article basically could have appeared in RT.com.

Annis cites a May 18th Guardian article to help make the case that the
Tatars are doing okay in post-annexationist Crimea. But if you look at
the article, you'd draw the opposite conclusion:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/18/ukraine-crimea-tatars-70-anniversary-deportations

On Friday the Crimean prime minister, Sergei Aksyonov, banned mass
gatherings on the peninsula, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in March,
until 6 June, citing violence in south-east Ukraine.

At Sunday's rally, Lenur, 28, wearing the Ukrainian national team's
football strip, said discrimination against Tatars had increased since
the region became part of Russia and that he still considered himself a
Ukrainian citizen.

"I'll be with Ukraine forever," he said, condemning the ban on mass
gatherings as cynical given that celebrations to mark Simferopol's City
Day and the Russia Day public holiday fell in the week after the ban
ends. He declined to give his last name.

Many Tatars wanted Crimea to remain in Ukraine and boycotted a 16 March
referendum in which authorities said nearly 97% of voters backed joining
Russia.

---

But what's really shocking is Annis's reference to Mustafa Dzhemilev,
who he refers to in the following terms: The Guardian identifies him as
an “unofficial leader” of Crimean Tatars, whatever that might mean.

Yeah, whatever that means...

Well, here's what it means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Dzhemilev

Dzhemilev was born in Ay-Serez, Crimea, then Russian SFSR, on November
13, 1943. He was only six months old when his family, with the rest of
the Crimean Tatar population, was deported by Soviet authorities in May
1944.[3] He grew up in exile, in Uzbekistan.

At the age of 18, Dzhemilev and several of his activist friends
established the Union of Young Crimean Tatars. He thus began the arduous
and long struggle for the recognition of the rights of Crimean Tatars to
return to their homeland. Between 1966 and 1986, Dzhemilev was arrested
six times for anti-Soviet activities and served time in Soviet prisons
and labor camps, or lived under surveillance.[4] Dzhemilev is also
remembered for going on the longest hunger strike in the history of
human rights movements. The hunger strike lasted for 303 days, but he
survived due to forced feeding.

In May 1989, he was elected to head the newly founded Crimean Tatar
National Movement. The same year he returned to Crimea with his family,
a move that would be followed by the eventual return of 250,000 Tatars
to their homeland.