[Marxism] Assad-loving US dissident senator has other dissident views

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Fri May 30 05:44:32 MDT 2014

Assad-loving US dissident senator has other dissident views:

"This is not the first time that Black has been involved in a
controversy. In 2001, the Loudoun County Republican referred to
emergency contraception as “baby pesticide.” Later in 2002, he denied
that spousal rape is a crime “when they’re living together, sleeping in
the same bed, she’s in a nightie, and so forth.” And during the time
that Black was a military prosecutor, he referred to military rape as a
situation “as predictable as human nature,” asking a reporter in 1996:
“Wouldn’t you love to have a group of 19-year-old girls under your
control, day in, day out?”"

Entirely consistent.

Assad-loving Va. pol defends views

Syrian President Bashar Assad is pictured. | AP Photo

Assad has been condemned by the United Nations for civil rights abuses.
| AP Photo
By KENDALL BREITMAN | 5/29/14 10:14 AM EDT Updated: 5/29/14 11:34 AM EDT

The Virginia state senator who praised Bashar Assad in a recent letter
to the Syrian ruler is defending his missive, saying it’s either Assad
or the terrorists.

“I’m deeply concerned that if we oust President Assad then we will
evolve a jihadist regime associated with Al Qaeda,” state Sen. Richard
Black said in an interview.

Assad, who has been condemned by the United Nations for civil rights
abuses including the deaths of 100,000 people, posted Black’s letter on
his Facebook page on Wednesday. Black said he wasn’t surprised when
Assad posted the letter, which prompted widespread news coverage.

In the letter, Black thanks the Syrian Army and said the government’s
forces have shown “extraordinary gallantry in the war against
 terrorists” and he commended Assad’s military for “heroic” actions in
safeguarding the country’s Christian and Jewish places of worship.

The senator said he decided to drop Assad the note after the Syrian
military liberated captured Christians, specifically 13 nuns, and other
Syrians. “The Syrian Army did a spectacular job,” Black said. “You
literally could make a movie off of the operation they launched to get
those nuns.”

Black claims that nearly half of the rebels opposing Assad are
associated with Al Qaeda and other extremists, citing a military
analysis at IHS Jane’s. Black, who according to his website took part in
269 combat missions in Vietnam, said that Assad and his father kept
religious peace and protected religious minorities in Syria for 40
years.

(PHOTOS: Scenes from Syria)

“I think a lot of people in government would like us to think of this in
singular terms and say, ‘Oh, I hear a lot of bad things. Let’s get rid
of [Assad],’ but it’s not that simple,” Black said. “We are at a fork in
the road. Either President Assad will prevail and he will run Syria … or
Al Qaeda will take charge and run that country and use it as a launching
pad to launch terrorists all throughout the world.”

The Republican state lawmaker also said it “turns his stomach” to hear
that President Barack Obama plans to increase aid to opposition groups
in Syria.

This is not the first time that Black has been involved in a
controversy. In 2001, the Loudoun County Republican referred to
emergency contraception as “baby pesticide.” Later in 2002, he denied
that spousal rape is a crime “when they’re living together, sleeping in
the same bed, she’s in a nightie, and so forth.” And during the time
that Black was a military prosecutor, he referred to military rape as a
situation “as predictable as human nature,” asking a reporter in 1996:
“Wouldn’t you love to have a group of 19-year-old girls under your
control, day in, day out?”

(Also on POLITICO: GOP gains might not help defense industry)

While Black said he has gotten some backlash from the letter, he added
that he is “pleased” to see that it has generated interest.

“I think the letter has had a very good effect because it really has
created a dialogue and an examination of an issue that simply was not
going on before,” Black said

Read more:
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/richard-black-bashar-assad-syria-praise-virginia-state-senator-107214.html#ixzz33CM27AVA