[Marxism] Fwd: Lena Dunham and America’s Wet Dream » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 3 10:11:53 MST 2014

(Why I love CounterPunch)

When it comes to entertainment, people either want to escape from their
assholedom, or to watch it in HD.

Lena Dunham’s variety of “entertainment” consistently falls into the
second category. She has ostensibly made a living by wallowing
unashamedly in a peculiar brand of egotistical self loathing which
hyperbolizes her own grossness: whether that’s a white, pasty, shapeless
plump body squeezed into awful Brooklyn hipster fashions, the antithesis
to everything we revere in glossy billboard America, or her awkward
‘weird girl’ obsession with the kind of uncomfortable adolescent sexual
experiences of millenials. It’s precisely this kind of brazen saturation
in her own mundane, every day disgustingness, this kind of Riot Girls
‘Fuck You’ to everything we’re taught to be as woman (thin, hot, pretty,
sexual, alluring etc), this fabulous flaunting of flaws, this
celebration of hideous, cringeworthy, unremarkable experience after
experience which, we are told, is the key to Dunham’s success. This is
why we should consider her a feminist icon. That is why ‘Girls’ is
amazing. That is why her book is fantastic. That is why Dunham is a
genius. That is why her character Hannah’s desire to be a voice for her
generation is actually, through an oxymoronic twist of fate, exactly
what Dunham herself has achieved!

OK, fuck this. Let’s quit with the fucking onanism. Every fucking white
girl who wants a book deal has, for the last two decades, been writing
onerous crap about nothing and cunts and peni and shit sex and dating in
New York fucking City. There is absolutely nothing remotely radical
about searching avidly for something shocking to reveal about oneself in
the hopes of getting attention.

In the meat market of American celebrity, all we have to sell is a
little piece of our self, and we’re taught to sell it over and over and
over, in whatever way we can. If we’re thin and hot, flog that. If we
have the personality of a fart, take out a Facebook ad for it. America
is a nonstop branding machine for assholes intent on commodifying their
dreadful and utterly banal personalities into a career. Dunham is no
different. Her success lies not in the fact that she is uniquely shaped
and sized, writes “refreshingly” about tedious uncomfortable sex, gets
her tits out all the time and wears truly awful outfits from Urban
Outfitters. Her success lies in the fact that she is fat, white, rich,
privileged, racist, ignorant and disgusting: just like the heart of
American society. Dunham makes white people feel OK about their racism.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/11/03/lena-dunham-and-americas-wet-dream/